Do you like making pizzas out of things that aren’t meant to be pizzas, like English muffins or crackers? Then you might want to try these Portobello mushroom pizzas, especially if you’re crazy about mushrooms…or pizza.
This recipe is ideal for when you just want a quick bite to eat before dinner, and you can easily make them the night before and bring them in to work the next day, heating them up quick in the microwave. Of course, being Portobello mushrooms, they’re not exactly bite-sized, but you may need two of them in order to feel adequately full. (It still beats a bag of chips, hands-down.)
With these mushroom pizzas, you can enjoy everything there is to enjoy about a personal pan pizza while skipping the extra carbs and calories, as well as that bloated feeling that you can sometimes feel after eating too many slices. Plus, they’re incredibly easy to whip up in that there aren’t too many ingredients (you can always add or subtract ingredients as you see fit) and they are super-fast to make.
You’re probably wondering how to make a pizza without cheese, since you may be one of those folks who chooses to avoid dairy while following the Paleo diet. I have you covered because also included in the recipe below is a sub-recipe for cashew basil cheese, though you can substitute it out for seed cheese if you prefer.
Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
● 6 to 8 Portobello mushrooms
1. Preheat oven by setting the broiler on low (or “broil,” if that’s the only setting you have).
2. Cover a baking sheet with a silicone non-stick baking mat or parchment paper for easy clean-up.
3. Make the cashew basil cheese recipe (optional). Set aside.
4. Remove the stems of the portabellas and gently rub with a wet cloth to clean. Place them belly side-up on the baking sheet.
5. Spoon about 2 tbsp. of pizza sauce into each mushroom.
6. Spoon about 2 to 4 tsp. of cashew basil cheese onto the pizza sauce.
7. Top Portobello mushrooms with the remaining ingredients, sprinkle with basil and/or Italian seasoning and red pepper flake.
8. Broil on the lowest temperature setting on the middle rack for about 10 to 12 minutes, watching closely, as broiler temperatures vary. Serve immediately and enjoy!